Monday, February 18, 2013

Severely osteopenic

This is my week for tests. Today had my annual mammogram and ultrasound and all was fine.
He said I break all rules. Said even where my cancer was, in the lymph nodes, was not a usual spot.
Then I said: Do I need a bone density? Never had one. But did explain that I had recently had a hip x-ray and ultrasound and it was perfect.
"Sure I am fine," I said.
Well.... had it there and then and it turns out I am "severely osteopenic" but with only a 5% fracture risk "so nobody would treat it", he said. He asked about calcium, I mentioned I had to stop taking the pills as my levels were too high and that my thryoid doc had been monitoring that, and told him I take a weekly Vitamin D pill.
That was that
We didn't discuss it further.
I am shocked. Although my mom had osteoporosis and I remember when she broke two ribs and hadn't even fallen or knocked herself.
My biokineticist says I need to continue the weight-bearing exercises I do do.
Going to be researching it further.

This is what I have found so far:


Osteopenia

From , former About.com Guide
Updated April 29, 2008
About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by the Medical Review Board
Definition: Osteopenia describes bone density that is significantly lower than normal. Having osteopenia means you are at risk for developing osteoporosis, a disease in which the bone density is very low and bone structure is fragile, while together result in bones that are brittle and break easily. Osteopenia is diagnosed with a bone density scan. Treatment of osteopenia depends on age and risk factors, but at a minimum it usually includes calcium and vitamin D supplementation along with a program of weight-bearing exercises.
Pronunciation: ahstee-opeenia
Also Known As: bone demineralization

No comments:

Post a Comment