Sunday, March 1, 2009

the most unsettling part of the chemo food cravings.....


Penny Siopis
Pinky Pinky: Wounds (detail) 2003-2004
oil and found objects on canvas
380 x 122cm
www.artthrob.co.za


I used to go to the shops on the weekend, make sure I had what I liked to eat - herring, smoked salmon, lots of veggies and some fruit and of course, fresh fish for the next few days - and life went out with lots of eating out and some functions.

Now I am bound by cravings. "I feel like a baked potato", "I want pasta", "I don't want to go near fish", "No salad for me thanks", "No, I am not drinking at the moment, thanks. Water is fine".

And I have to make a concerted effort to make sure I eat protein, which is mainly tofu and sometimes soya sausage.

And then yesterday (see previous posting), I craved meat, and nuts, which I usually detest.

Oh well. I feel like a baby. Like Penny Siopis's pinky baby. (Ok, that is not what everyone says it's about, it's not a baby apparently, but it does make me feel like one of those figures.)

PINKY PINKY:
"Siopis will be presenting an installation of her Pinky Pinky series, which taps into personal childhood memories, dreams and local folklore. In these works, Pinky Pinky is a vaguely threatening figure, the embodiment of anxieties of a personal, social and political nature." FROM WWW.ARTTHROB.CO.ZA

ABOUT PENNY SIOPIS:
http://www.artprintsa.com/penny-siopis.html

No comments:

Post a Comment