Tuesday, March 29, 2011

inspirational people

I have always thought I was a paragon of virtue 'cos I exercised throughout chemo. Lol! I did low-energy exercises, the type which could even be done from a bed, a programme I got from the biokineticist I was seeing for a sore knee at the time: lots of leg stretches using a theraband; lifting my leg 20cm off the ground and holding, then releasing it slowly, that type of thing; interspersed with a few therapeutic/restorative Iyengar yoga poses. What a joke. Listen to what Joanna of Colarado in the US did: she played tennis throughout chemo for breast cancer, stopping only for four days after each treatment, Life has its ups and downs - about playing tennis throughout chemo.
Ok, my excuse is I was banned from the gym (ie exercise) from BEFORE I started any treatment for my breast cancer but really, looking back now, I battled to walk to the mall from the office, which is about a 5 minute walk, so I don't think I could have managed gym. And when I did go back to gym, halfway through my radiation treatment, the first time I walked s-l-o-w-l-y on the treadmill for three minutes - and was wrecked. And then it took a while before I went back to yoga. So the idea of tennis and all the energy involved in that.... bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment