Thursday, March 5, 2009

mixed signals

Had a brief encounter yesterday which lingers in my mind. David, one of the employees in the office, came up to me and said: "You're looking really good these days" - or something to that effect.

I responded: "Oh I have cancer" - even as the thought crossed my mind that he was probably referring to my new habit of wearing hats.

My response was inappropriate and blunt but it was not a good day. Day three after second session of chemo and was nauseous as hell.

But it does prove the point that the Yoga Guru pointed out a few days ago and which I wrote about: that headgear in SA today is a black thing. For David, who is black, my wearing hats was attractive and I took the compliment and shoved it back harshly.

Meanwhile, went to Dance Umbrella tonight. Saw Boyzie Cekwana's piece. Intriguing, puzzling, frustrating cos of the lack of dance, but kinda haunting.

2 comments: